Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wednesday - L'ile d;Orleans

Today the sun was back behind clouds but the forecast is for warmer weather so here's hoping that will be the case.

We took the car and drove to L'ile d'Orleans which is an island in the middle of the St. Lawrence River. I am sure in the summer it is a real tourist trap but today with the cooler weather and non tourist season there were no crowds and not much was open. The drive was very pleasant with lots of lovely views. I guess if I had insisted we could have stopped at a few of the artist studios but since I can't take anything back with me it is just as well we didn't stop. A few picture stops and a climb up a big tower to view out over the river plus a lunch stop was all we did. One thing I learned today is that the St. Lawrence river has a tide - who knew? There is a bridge joining the island to the mainland with a bridge that looks a lot like the Lion's Gate bridge, it was even built in the same year. The Lion's Gate was in much better shape!!!


Driving back to the hotel Bob took the wrong turn off the free way. I don't think a map would have helped us as we were down into the small narrow streets of the lower Old city. Out came the GPS and once it had found a signal off we went - that made that little excursion a little less tense!!!


Back at the hotel we headed out to a small street away from the Old City but still an old area of town. Here we found a couple of the very old churches and Bob found his favorite store. The liquor store so he could have a cocktail or two tonight. This evening we plan to head back to the Old City for dinner. Tomorrow we are going into the Eastern townships where we have reservations at a golf resort for a night or two plus a game of golf.

No comments:

Post a Comment