Friday, May 29, 2009

The Museum of Man

Before I get going I do have to apologise to anyone who is reading or blog. For some reason I cannot get breaks all the time between paragraphs. I try going back and putting them in but no luck so you will have to figure out for yourself where the paragraph ends and starts.

As Bob said, we had to go see our tax dollars at work. What a fantastic museum - I am sure that it would take a week of Sundays to see all of it. After about 3 hours our feet were so soar we had to call it quits!!!

Our intent was to take a taxi over, see the museum and then walk back across the bridge into Ottawa. I wish we had done as I suggested and walked over there when it wasn't raining as by the time we finished the rain was beating down and we had to take a taxi back to the hotel.
It would be hard to tell everyone how much was in that museum all I can say that if you are ever in Ottawa it is a definite visit. Most of the lower floor is taken up with native history and a large part on West Coast with numerous totem pools on display. We must have spent over an hour just doing that section, the second floor was the postal museum and the kid's museum. Anyone with young kids could spend hours in the that section. In the postal section I tried to find the first addition stamp and envelope for the World Jamboree in the Kananaskis as Steve had drawn the picture for the envelope but it wasn't on display. I would think if they put every first addition on display the whole building would be filled.
Bob enjoyed the top floor which was a selection of National heroes. We had lunch and then went back up to spend more time. Our feet were so soar that he didn't get it finished even with the rest in between. I had to take a picture of the Parliament Buildings from the Quebec side.
It was a great day despite all the rain. In the evening we went to a Thai restaurant for a lovely meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment