I am not going to add any pictures at this time as the upload time is horrendous. I have put a few pictures on face book but it took so long I won't try today maybe tomorrow.
The cruise up the Danube through the Wouchou Valley was very beautiful, lots of castles, churches and great scenery.
Once in Vienna, the city that I had expected to be magic but wasn't. I must admit I was not impressed at all. One, we did not have enough time to really see it, two, everyting was under construction with lots of noise, and many building with scaffold around them and three, the touriest were too numerous to enjoy anything.
The evening Mozart concert was wonderful and we did enjoy it very much. It was held in the recitall hall of one of the palaces. I would love to see this city under better circumstances.
It wasn't until the next morning that we found out that the cruise was facing a bad situation. The river is too low and that there will be a place further west that is very shallow. We had to reach that spot by the late afternoon of our Friday. To accomplish this feat the next two morning we would be dropped off at our destination city and the ship would carry on.
Thus on Thursday we stopped at Melk to do the abbey there and to tour the town. It was a lovely abbey that has had a monostary on the same site for almost 1000 years. The town was very lovely also. After a bit of a walk around we stopped for a cocktail before our bus would pick us up. We were very fortunate to have a member (from Castlegar) who could speak German so we ordered without a problem. We boarded the bus for a bus ride to catch up to the boat. The moment everyone was on they were off again.
Friday we docked a little west of Passau and bused back into Passau for our morning tour of Passua. This included a visit to St. Stephen's church which has the largest pipe organ in the world in it. We also took in a concert of the organ - LOAD. In the afternoon Bob & I went on a 16 km bike ride. I didn't get to take as many pictures as I would have liked as if I stopped it meant that everyone had to stop. There were 24 members from the ship who came on the ride, only 3 gave up at the 1/2 way mark.
We were then bused again west to catch up to the boat, this should be the last time we do this as long as we make it over the shallows in about 1 hours. At least we hope this is the end of buses as we are on a river cruise not a bus tour.
No comments:
Post a Comment